R-DEC PICO-RHEED System
- Reduced beam current and sample damage
- Ideal for organic thin film research
- MCP (micro channel plate) screen
- 90 μm (max.) beam diameter
- Remote control for HV, filament, focus/deflection lens
- 0…30 keV electron energy
Low Emission RHEED – Reduced Damage to Sensitive Films
RHEED (reflective high energy electron diffraction) is a powerful tool to monitor the deposition of thin films. But its application is limited to film materials that are not sensitive to the energy transferred into the film material by the incident electron beam. To overcome this limitation, R-DEC has developed the PICO-RHEED system. It consists of a “low emission” type RHEED electron gun and a micro channel plate (MCP) screen assembly.
The MCP electron multiplier is installed in front of the RHEED phosphor screen. This allows to reduce the electron beam current necessary for a clear and bright diffraction pattern significantly. A lower beam current leads to less electron beam induced damage of the sample. This makes the PICO-RHEED system attractive for in-situ monitoring of organic thin film growth, but also for sensitive inorganic films (e.g. in oxide MBE the effect of the RHEED electron beam on the oxidation of the deposited film can be seen in some materials).
R-DEC PICO-RHEED Features
The PICO-RHEED system – distributed in Europe exclusively by SURFACE – is as easy to use as a conventional RHEED system. The necessary power supply for the electron multiplier/MCP screen is integrated into the RHEED power supply/control unit. On the analysis side, it is compatible with standard components, like the popular k-Space kSA400 system.
- Less damage to the sample (1/500 to 1/2800)*
- MCP (Micro Channel Plate) screen with shutter
- Optional port for differential pumping
- Controller with power supply for RHEED and MCP
- Remote control box for convenient adjustment of the diffraction image
- Compatible with kSA400 RHEED analysis system
(*Data acquired at AVC Co., Ltd.)
PICO-RHEED Electron Gun
PICO-RHEED Power Supply
For more information, visit the R-DEC Co., Ltd. (Japan) product page.