At the beginning of each project, we offer an introductory discussion to define the research goals, the specifics of the sample(s), and the most appropriate testing scheme. The samples are provided by the customer, readily prepared for testing. All samples as well as all measured data and information discussed are treated confidentially. Any public citation on our side requires a confirmation from the customer.
Data from free demonstration measurements remains the property of SURFACE. Publication of any free demonstration measurements requires the permission of our laboratory.
After completipn of the test a written electronic report is generated, summarizing the measured data. A final discussion can be appointed, if desired.
Scanning Probe Microscopy (SPM) and Nanothermal Analysis
- Roughness analysis
- Mapping of thermal, magnetic, and electronic properties
- Thermal transitions in polymers
Nanoindentation and Mechanical Measurements
- determination of hardness and Young's modulus, statically or dynamically as a function of indentation depth
- imaging nanoindentation and precision positioning of indents
- dynamical measurements of E′, E″, and tan δ in viscoelastic materials
- bending tests on micro structures
- compression tests on micro structures
- scratch, friction, and wear tests
- fracture toughness
Preferably, samples for mechanical testing should match one of two standard geometries:
- Standard: diameter up to 30 mm, height up to 8 mm
- Flat: diameter up to 10 cm, height up to 3 mm
Deviating geometries are possible, but should be discussed with the Nanolab team in advance. Please contact us with your requirements.
Charges in general will be individually quoted. Usually an hourly rate will be charged, which depends on the requested processing time:
- Standard (turnaround time up to four weeks)
- Fast (turnaround time up to one week)
- Express (turnaround time up to three working days)
For extensive or non-standard testing the turnaround times may differ and will be discussed individually. For non-standard geometries or experiments the additional cost for tips and other items will be charged to the project. Individual package prices are possible for extensive projects.
Please contact our team with your questions, requirements, or for a quotation.
The SURFACE Nanolab also offer courses, training, and consulting for the techniques offered by our laboratory. We can also develop custom tailored test setups and methods. Participation in research projects is also a possibility.
Please contact our team for further information.